Sunday, January 11, 2009

Microsoft and Windows 7, Best Windows Version?

Here's the link that got this all started.

Windoze is putting out it's best version ever?? What happened to Vista? I acutally lost all respect for microsoft when they had me testing things for xp and I had them convinced I was an IT person. (Internet Technology not the it girl)

That said, I use firefox, I'd be on my apple right now if I still had a big one, just have an ibook and a BIG screen for my old HP which was like top of the line a couple years ago. OK, there's an emachine laptop and my husband has an averatec tablet with him and there's a gaming computer around here somewhere but the old HP with Windows XP on it is fine. I've had several HP's, I think the first one I put linux on was a pavillion which was a trip, then I got started with apples and some old thinkpads that I fixed and gave away to relatives. Anyway for a grandma I've had some computer experience. I think like 90% of fixing networks or computers is being mechanically inclined and the other 10% is thinking outside the box.

But we were talking about OS or operating systems for those who aren't linguistically geeky. I started with computers with windows 95, my daughter bought the computer. We had had an ancient apple when she was younger, 10 minutes of programming and you could play 1 minute of music, wow, I lost interest in computers. Basic and Dos were not my native tounge. I must say windows 95 turned me on. I'd had a computer class in college, suffice to say the computer was as big as a piano, that's how long ago it was. Windows 95 was simple, it must have been, the kids had had computer classes in school and when we got the first pc with windows 95 in 96 I was like sure I would be STUPID, the kids would show me up but it would be fun. In two weeks I had managed to mess up the sound on something on windows so I decided to uninstall it and reinstall, it was still under warranty, I had no qualms, someone could fix it if I screwed it up seriously. A piece of cake, kids were asking me how to do everything on computer, mama was queen once again. I took over payments on the computer, took almost a year of talking for my husband to let us have internet but the first time I saved him like $1000 on a truck part he was fine with it. I progressed to thinkpads and fixing them and installing linux, was in 7th heaven. Then I got into apples and wireless networking, we got the satellite internet connection and I sort of lost interest? Actually I had a business to run and didn't have time and then got sick with lyme and got involved with my husbands next business but I admit I haven't kept up with any of it lately.

But that is all beside the point, what is my point is Windows 95 was simple. Sure it was clunky and had security problems but I lost all confidence in Windows with the ME version. At least 95 would keep running without shutting down, and if it did shut down you could actually FIX IT? That's probably why I tested xp so early, I was sooooo very ready to get rid of Windows ME. XP was fine till the second update and it wouldn't install on some computers etc but you HAD to have the update, plus @ the time I could afford more memory which was GOOD because you needed LOTS of memory? Then they come out with Vista which I've worked with a little but if you aren't into doing things the weird way it just didn't seem to be worth the trouble of switching from XP? Now there is Windows 7? From what I read it seems to do some of the things that my lowly little ibook has done for years? PLUS my ibook runs cooler and longer and doesn't complain when I open lots of windows or shut down like the emachine or the other laptop or the gaming computer when they have had enough. Or do weird things like have a parallel universe running like the HP I'm on now which was one of the first 64's to come out. Which reminds me, WHY am I on this computer? Oh yeah, I can't afford to buy ANOTHER computer but soon, very soon I will get my hands on a sleek white new apple with a big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment