Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Parking In Your Own Driveway Illegal In Toledo Ohio








Not much time to write but I just had to share this with you. Here's the link from abc. Now I'm sure the mayor has a law to back this all up but I'm also sure this law was put into effect to prevent you from being a shade tree mechanic on your own front lawn. Basically in Toledo Ohio the police are giving tickets to people who park in their own gravel driveways? I know cities are strapped for cash just like the rest of us but making it impossible and a further financial drain on it's citizens to even exist in those cities isn't solving anything, even in OH. This is just plain stupid.

Also this article reminded me of a story that was told to me by an executive in a shipping company in Wisconsin. Said executive had several children, one of the boys got married and the new parents-in-law and his wife went down to Arkansas from Wisconsin to meet the in laws. People from Arkansas are really going to think I'm mean after this one but some of my best friends live in Arkansas. Anyway the daughter-in-law told her parents-in-law to turn left @ the house that had a washer and dryer and a couple couches sitting in front of the house, (that wasn't her parents house, it was just a turning point) then turn right @ the house that had the car on blocks in the front yard and the dog pens and orange stuffed chairs sitting outside (another turning point) and go on one mile or something like that. Rick thought the daughter-in-law was kidding but she was giving precise detailed driving directions. This was several years ago, we have become more homogenized since then as to the appearance of our lawns and homes but I used to notice the sharp differences between states and the appearance of homes and lawns in each. Driving to Wisconsin from Missouri through Illinois or going further east to Ohio was like "where do these people get their time and money to make their homes look like THIS?" (Also with all the new Mc Mansions going up previously it was like, how come there are so many rich people now but we know they weren't really rich, just in above their heads) No I don't have appliances or stuffed furniture outside but I'm sure within 5 miles you can find some. I'm also not above letting the dogs have a pop bottle to play with if they leave it laying on the lawn and I do have a fish stringer and fishing line from the boys laying by the back door plus a pair of my husbands rubber boots, I'm hoping the rain washes the mud off of them eventually?

Just my viewpoint. Have to go get gas for the mower after that little diatribe. I can't mow I don't think though, buckhorns and clover that we call lawn is getting tall but we have had like 4 inches of rain in the past 24 hours. Part of my lawn furniture was 100 ft from the house and the glass table blew over, it's never blown over before, hopefully the storms are over for awhile. Photos are my lawn, not Ohio.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is just plain silly. Does the city of Toledo expect all those folks to pave a driveway they have parked in for years? I suspect this will be the mayor's last term in office.

    Your yard is beautiful and isn't it suppose to be used and enjoyed? I hope your storms are coming to an end soon so you can enjoy the summer.

    Have a great day and don't work too hard.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about me working too hard Judy, I see a nap in the future for me.
    I just went to the town south of us for gas for the mower and they have probably 1 out of every 10 trees uprooted, some laying on houses, power lines hanging down yet. We got off easy with the storms.
    Thanks about the lawn, it's not what it used to be, I have like 5 more days off this month to whip it into shape!
    You have a great day too, now off to visit "The Road to Here" before the nap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as if it's the beginning of the silly season -- not being able to park in one's own driveway. Where are they supposed to park?

    Your place looks absolutely wonderful...! I love clover, and it smells so fragrant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot all about this blog. For some reason it wasn't on my dashboard anymore. A little while back some just disappeared! I wonder who else I'm missing. Thanks for mentioning it on the other one!

    ReplyDelete