Sunday, June 7, 2009

Adventures With Bluetooth


I've learned more about cell phones and bluetooth than I ever wanted to know in the past day. My husbands company gave him a bluetooth for his phone because they aren't supposed to be distracted @ all during the day which is a great safety policy! So now he can answer the phone and talk without using his hands. Problem is he has me do all the phone and computer things and he is 700 miles away and he had to connect the bluetooth. I'm pretty good on computers but haven't messed with them much lately, phones I can punch the numbers in and send pictures etc. connect with the web but that's about it. I'm always afraid something is going to cost money after our first bag phone cost like $11 a minute when roaming in Utah once. Does anyone even remember bag phones?
So he gets the bluetooth and tries to connect it to his phone, trouble is I was @ a family gathering till late and he was out to dinner so he didn't try to get this all working till almost 11pm last night, I was in bed TRYING to go to sleep. We had both been up since 5 am. He says he's not firing up his computer so we will see if he reads this, LOL. Anyway after a couple conversations, the last one consisting of I thought we were going to get this going in the MORNING!, we said goodnight, or rather he said love you bye right after that. So I couldn't sleep then and got up and googled how to connect a motorola to a samsung. Turns out I had the wrong samsung and the menu options were different. Neither one of us had the owners manual for his phone since it's my old one that I got from my grandson who got it from my daughter when she got a state of the art phone from my other daughter, got that? I bought husband a new phone but he didn't like it so I have that one and he got my old one which isn't old, it's a slider and actually pretty neat. I have one with a keyboard which is what I was after all along but I need a memory card now and a bigger texting plan, I can see this!
Somehow my husband who is not dumb @ all and in some ways is probably smarter than I am (read he's a genius but I don't like to admit it) is convinced computers and anything related to them such as cell phones and bluetooth are evil beings set upon this earth to torment him. He can figure out what's wrong with an engine by listening to it or looking @ the exhaust quite often. I swear he's not as computer illiterate as he says because somehow when we first got internet back in the 90s he figured out how to go to history to see what web pages I'd been on? This was like the FIRST time he was on the internet so I think he's playing dumb quite often so I will do things for him?
So after 3 phone calls this morning and a few web pages, downloading the proper owners manual we finally figured it out.
The steps are:
  1. Enable bluetooth on your phone usually under settings. (OK, for those who are truly phone illiterate you get to settings under menu usually)
  2. Turn your bluetooth headset on, this might require holding the button for several seconds.
  3. Go to Tools or Connectivity (the connectivity one is the one that had us stumped) look for bluetooth and click on add new device or something like that. It should find the headset, you might have to enter a pin code off of the bluetooth device or the phone or both.
  4. The phone should pick up the headset and you can click on connect and voila! it should all work just fine.
So that's a short and dirty guide for all of you who may have been putting off getting a bluetooth headset. If you have problems call BR 549.
Now I think there is a way to get my cell phone pictures off of the sim card and onto my computer but I'm not sure how, going to find out!
Postscript, duhhhh, figured it out, email them. Didn't know I could do that, told you I was phone challenged.

4 comments:

  1. I just had severe flashbacks to when I hooked up my bluetooth headset. It was so frustrating!
    We build our own computers and are total electronic geeks but that little piece of technology just about sent me over the edge. But now that it works, I love it.
    Good story, too funny.
    Have a great day,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SquirrelQueen, I used to be sort of geek too, I networked a windows box, an apple, and a linux box together for fun once, I used to buy "broke" thinkpads and put them back together and put os on them and give them away. Phones are a different deal, actually I just never was interested, they called I answered, end of story. Glad to hear the bluetooth had someone else stymied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bluetooths are just weird. They look like some weird appendage from Star Trek. I am one of the few people I know who doesn't even own a cell phone. I suppose I will have to get one soon, though. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, sorry I just now saw this post. I thought I was a hold out on a cell phone, I didn't get one till like 2003 or something. I still don't have a blutooth, text me while I'm driving, you'll just have to wait, I barely answer the thing.

    ReplyDelete